Restructuring Staffing or Service Delivery
For over twenty years BHLD has provided business process re-engineering to a variety of for-profit and not-for-profit organizations and businesses including government agencies. The dynamics prompting the need for restructuring have varied and include:
- Significant shift in market conditions triggering new strategic direction and/or priorities
- Emergence of new technology
- New board, new senior leaders, new executive director
- Reduction in revenue base
- Need for innovation–new products or services, new ways to reduce costs
- Underdeveloped or under investment in infrastructure
- New stakeholders with new needs and expectations
- Lack of alignment across organizational groups impeding overall capability and performance
- Culture change in support of new direction and performance goal
Guiding Principles: We adhere to the following guidelines to achieve restructuring and to create a smooth transition for the organization and its customers.
- Complexity: Organizations are complex systems–when change occurs in one place in an organization, other parts of the organization are naturally affected.
- Change dynamics: Resistance to change is common and can be addressed in a positive manner. Surfacing, respecting, and working through resistance is a healthy and useful part of the change process. Addressing the emotions surrounding any organizational change ultimately enables the organization’s ability to become adaptive and optimize the success of the change objectives.
- Right People are Involved: Successful change requires alignment, commitment and participative leaders with the authority to influence action, and impact key stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Full Participation: All participants are encouraged to speak up and fully engage in the process in order to foster ownership and commitment to the change.
- Multiple Realities: There are often as many perspectives and opinions as there are people involved in the process. In order for change to successfully occur, participants need to understand and accept each other’s point of view. This requires momentarily suspending positions, listening attentively, and balancing advocating for a point of view with inquiring about and honoring others’ perspectives.
- Jointly Designed Actions: Consultants and the client group work together to co-create a process which is tailored to the unique dynamics and constraints of the organization. This approach encourages innovation, commitment and ownership of solutions.
- Objectivity: Consultants work from a stance of objectivity, without bias, and with a strict code of confidentiality so as to engender trust throughout the change process.
In our highly collaborative approach, the following process will be followed:
- Collaborate with leaders and identify the reason for restructuring
- Gather customer and stakeholder data and assess current state and readiness
- Collaborate with leaders to discuss findings from data analysis and make recommendations
- Design success criteria
- Develop re-engineering strategy
- Engage key participants across the organization
- Define participant roles and responsibilities
- Develop the re-engineering plan including a communication plan to internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate with key stakeholders and facilitate the change
- Develop reports on the process and communicate updates to leaders and key stakeholders
- Identify and integrate learning solutions
- Monitor progress
- Develop and implement corresponding communication
- Develop programs for orienting and training individuals to the structure and new processes
- Over time, analyze the process and with stakeholders determine if outcome desirable
- Benchmark and research outcomes of new processes and communicate findings to key stakeholders
In order to ensure that organizational leaders are satisfied, we will:
- Seek their active involvement in co-designing and leading the process
- Develop project objectives, timelines and success criteria, which is monitored throughout the project
- Prepare regular status reports
- Conduct regular check-in meetings, solicit feedback and make changes accordingly